Finding My Way To Love

Friday, June 18, 2010

Simply Lola: In The Midst Of It All



In The Mist Of It All
For a long time people believed that Zora Neale Hurston was born in the year of 1901 but she was really born in 1891. Her mother past away when she was 14 and her father quickly remarried and shipped her off to boarding school. For some unknown reason her father and step mother stopped paying her tuition, and she was kicked out of school. Although she had been put out of school she at just 15 she was determined to finish school and go to college. She worked as a maid for a few years. While working on the job she came across a scholarship application for another boarding school. Because she was so passionate about completing school she lied about her age and changed her birthday from 1891 to 1901. As my friend Crystal would say, black don’t crack. I’m guessing Zora had that same theory and managed to pass for a younger Zora graduating high school at age of 26 not looking a day over 16. Despite her family and her road blocks Zora Neale Hurston graduated high school becoming a world famous folklorist, anthropologist, and a legend of the Harlem Renaissance.

In the world of entertainment auditions can come at the drop of a dime, meaning I must be prepared at all times. Just like dating, a lady has to be ready for dinner at moment’s notice. Tuesday a mom from the foundation I volunteer for, and fellow cast mate in the play “Wrecked But Not Totaled called and told me that an independent film was having auditions for all roles in Fort Worth. I was so excited to hear the news, but then I thought myself, Forth Worth! Dang that’s far how in the world am I going to get out there? Daylon couldn’t take me he was working, so was my mom, and my sister has two kids ,I think that says it all. So I called my out of work cousin who has my aunts car, who is always having a bad day, bad week, bad month, and bad year. After I asked her for a ride she sent me a text telling me the car had no air, she aint got no gas or gas money and other pity party travesties After reading her long sad story I simply said never mind God is good. Not discouraged by my cousin’s discouragement I said a silent prayer “Lord I really want to at least audition for the film”. Now I used my last $4 to get to the foundation and it was going to cost me an additional $3.50 to catch the train to Fort Worth. By faith I caught the bus to downtown Dallas, and got on the TRE to Forth Worth. Just my luck I get on the train and the train officers were checking for tickets. Oh lord I don’t have a ticket! My heart started beating fast and I began to suite like nobody’s business. By the time the officer got to me the train alarm went off and the officer ran off the train to check out the problem. As the officer got off the train the train took off, I quickly took in a deep breath and said to myself “Thank Ya Jesus”. I finally made it Forth Worth but I still had to get on the bus, #10 to be exact. I walked over to the bus and sitting in the driver set was an overweight, jheri curl wearing, gold teeth having, loud talking male bus driver. As dramatic as I could be, I told the bus driver my story, I mean I had tears and all (lol). He sucked his teeth and said okay but I can only give you a pass one way. I wiped the fake tears from my eyes and with a big smile I said thank you. He asked me for the block number I needed to get off at and I told him the 39th block, he said the bus only goes to the 29th block. I told him that was fine and he let me off at the 29th block. I get off the bus at the 29th block surrounded by every luxury car dealership known to man. I looked down at my feet and told them, one day soon I am going to put in one of these fancy rides but until then, feet don’t fail me now (lol). As I walked the 10 blocks in the hot sun I had a “Amber Rose” moment ( Oh God please send me very rich man that will buy me a car, and love me with all his heart and claim my fame later) I know it’s sad but every now and I again I’d give anything to just be rescued by Mr. Fine and Wealthy (lol). I mean shoot I’ll learn how to ride like Ciara if that’s what it takes (lmao). Don’t judge me!

Finally I made it to the audition. While waiting to be called in, I met a nice lady, who was from Dallas. We talked and after the audition she offered to take me to the Dallas train station. I was so thankful because I didn’t have any money for a transfer back to Dallas. When I got on the Dallas train I bowed my head and said thank you God for just allowing me to audition. A few days later I received and email from the film producers offering me a part in the film.

Life happens and in spite of the hick ups and hang ups Zora manged to do all she set out to do. I plan to do the very same thing. So when life happens remember its worth it and Yolanda Adams sang it best, He kept me in the mist of it all



Til Next Time,
Simply Lola

No comments: