Finding My Way To Love

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Simply Lola : Moments of Friendly Reminders



Moments of Friendly Reminders

When I was living in Atlanta, I attended the Drake mix tape album release party. It was Drake’s first time ever performing (more like headlining) in Atlanta. It was a very private event it was weird but exciting to be sitting next to people like Jermaine Dupri, Young Joc, and Usher. Everyone was itching for a piece of the newfound movement rapper. Drake was the new child born to save Hip Hop. Lost in the shuffle, I begin to feel very out of place. Right when I started to make my exit, my former manager introduced me to the famous skateboarder Stevie (can’t remember his last name), he’s the owner and founder of DGK (Dirty Ghetto Kids). Anyway, he asked me did I grow up singing in church; I told him yeah and that my father is a pastor of a church. Long story short, he later explained how he never told anyone what he was about to tell me; that one of his favorite artist was Yolanda Adams. He talked to me about when he was homeless in California and in really tough times he would close his eyes and listen to her songs just to get through his struggle. I asked him what made him stay in California homeless and not just go back to Philly. He told me going back home wasn’t an option, not as long as he had his end goal in mind. After hearing his story, I was amazed to hear just how far he had come. It broke my heart to tell him I wasn’t a gospel singer (lol). Still feeling a little out of place and self conscious, in my peach strapless forever 21 dress, I decided to leave the all exclusive VIP Drake party. The super star skateboarder ran outside and said “I hope you don’t mind singing a little piece of one of Yolanda’s song”, I agreed and sang the first verse to the “In the mist of it all”. He looked at me and said you have a gift keep using it. I smile and said thanks.

Last week I started to visualize myself as a failure; nothing I was doing was good enough. It was if I was back in my Forever 21 dress just not fitting in where I wanted to be, and then I ran into my liberating moment Saturday night at the Andre Gurode Celebrity party (he was the coloring experience I had, we were perfect strangers...lol) He asked me how I was doing; I lied and said I was great. When the truth was, I have been feeling like I am losing my mind. He told me that he reads my blogs and wanted to know why I hadn’t written anything lately. I lied again and said I had been so busy with other things. The truth is, I just haven’t felt like I had anything to write about; somewhat lost in life’s directions. He explained to me how he thought I was very funny and creative and if no else is reading my blogs or listening to my music he is. He encouraged me to not stop doing all the things I do and that it will pay off somehow, someway, soon. I thanked him and we went our separate ways.

On my way home, I thought about what Mr. Liberation said to me; both he and Steve know very little about me. How is it that they can see what I sometimes lose sight of? I believe that every now and again we all get in rut and are not sure of what to do with ourselves. It’s as if we lose ourselves in the crowd of confusion and can no longer see ourselves. Then there are moments in our lives that give us just enough to keep going. At the Drake party it was Steve and on Saturday it was Mr. Liberation.

So to my friend that is reading my words and is feeling that all your hard work is worthless, remember there is something in you and to keep going. Don’t worry about the past, it’s over, take the lessons you’ve learned from your mistakes and apply them today. Just like my friendly ‘reminders’ reminded me to keep going, I encourage you to do the same. We both may be lost in our direction, but soon and very soon we will find our way.

Til Next Time
Simply Lola

No comments: